Winter Storm Necessities
With another winter storm looming, we have the essentials to take a proactive approach to the event. Here’s what you’ll need in your winter weather safety kit if you cannot get home:
· Shovel: Digging isn’t on everyone’s list of favorite things to do, but when you are trapped, this will definitely come in handy.
· Windshield scrapper: What’s worse than driving in the snow? We’d guess attempting to drive in the snow without visibility. Keeps these handy.
· Flashlight with batteries: The usage of this item is pretty self-explanatory when you need clarity at night in your surroundings.
· Radio powered remotely/battery: Any updates, whether about travel or roadside assistance, is vital when stranded.
· Water: Being trapped in one location for long periods of time can only be worsened by dehydration.
· Non-perishable foods: Foods that won’t spoil are ideal to keep you going including energy bars.
· Matches: You’ll need heat to maintain bottom temperature and in some cases to cook certain items. These will be critical during this time.
· First aid kit: Anything can happen. Be prepared for injuries and have prior knowledge of how to treat them.
· Medications: If you have prescriptions that you cannot go without, make sure to include those. We don’t want to make a tough situation look even bleaker.
· Blankets/Sleeping Bag: It will be uncomfortably cold, sometimes unbearably. You’ll need additional coverage for your body to stay warm.
· Tow chain or rope: There may be a time when you’ll need to make a pull attempt with your vehicle. Be cautious of this.
· Salt/Sand/Cat litter: These all serve as friction for tires to attain the capability to grip the ground when faced with ice or snow. They will be necessary for your success in traveling.
· Booster Cables: The vehicle went dead? Maybe there’s a motorist nearby that can jump you off. You’ll need the tools available to do so.
· Emergency Flares/Reflectors/Whistle: Do what you must to survive. This may mean flagging down help in dire consequences. Use these items to help.
· Cell Phone Charger: The two things that prohibits people from being able to call for help the most are lack of network connections and their phone is dead. You can help prevent the latter with this item. Make sure you have it at all times!
Other aspects to keep in mind: make sure you have a full gas tank and let someone know where you are heading prior to leaving.
Comments are closed.
Little Tidbits to Make You Chuckle!
Just click the buttons to view the videos!